- On 12 April 2013
As the National Association of REALTORS® YPN Start-up kit says:
Young professionals are the future of the real estate business. But in a field where the average age is 52, younger real estate practitioners often strive for a way to connect with each other and tap into valuable resources that will help them succeed in business.
In 2006 the National Association of REALTORS® started to build off the idea of encouraging the younger REALTORS® to become more active in their respective associations. Thus the REALTOR® YPN network is formed.
In 2007 they brought the REALTOR® YPN to the web and in 2008 they created the YPN Lounge (www.realtor.org/ypnlounge) for young REALTORS® to learn more about their industry from their peers. 2008, in essence, saw the creation of the REALTOR® YPN foundation that many Associations throughout America are using to start their own YPN groups.
As mentioned above the National Association of REALTORS® realizes that young professionals are the future of the real estate business. They also realize that the needs and work ethics of the young professionals are much different that the older generation that preceded them. NAR hopes that their YPN groups will be the bridge that facilitates the younger professionals into becoming the pioneers of the real estate industry by taking advantage of the skills and strengths that they younger professionals possess.
NAR has created a mission statement that targets their goals for the YPN groups.
YPN helps young real estate professionals excel in their careers by giving them the tools and encouragement to become involved in four core areas:
- REALTOR® Associations. Attend REALTOR® conferences and pursue leadership roles with their local, state and national associations.
- Real estate industry. Take an active role in policy discussions and advocacy issues; be informed about the latest industry news and trends.
- Peers. Network and learn from one another by attending events, participating in online communication, and seeking out mentoring opportunities.
- Community. Become exceptional members of their community by demonstrating a high level of REALTOR® professionalism and volunteering for causes they feel passionate about.
NAR knows that YPN group is more than goals and mission statements. YPN is about growing the individual to become the real estate professional of the future. So, they created a list of the ‘Key Member Benefits’ that the YPN will give to the young professional.
Why should REALTORS® participate in YPN?
- Invitation to NAR-sponsored YPN events. YPN events are a fun way for members to meet other real estate professionals from around the country, build a referral network, and learn about the new and free resources from the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®.
- Stay abreast of industry happenings. Through a lively blog, an information-packed Web site, and networking events, members stay in the loop on hot issues facing the real estate industry. YPN also has special educational sessions at REALTOR® conferences that address strategies for success in real estate.
- Have your own sounding board. Young professionals have unique challenges in real estate – and they also face challenges shared by all practitioners. By belonging to a network of peers who face similar issues, they can bounce ideas off of one another and provide support to each other.
- Get involved. Many people who are new to the industry want to get involved with their local, state, or national association of REALTORS®, but they either don’t know how to go about it or they find it too intimidating. YPN encourages them to explore leadership opportunities across the board.
By observing the trend of the advancing age of the average real estate professional NAR has noticed some key benefits that a YPN group will give to their local associations.
When young members get involved, the REALTOR® organization reaps rewards. Here are some reasons why your REALTOR® organization should start a YPN.
- New generation of leaders. Cultivate the next generation of your REALTOR® association’s leaders.
- Represent all members. Ensure your association’s industry interests are well-represented among all age groups and experience levels.
- Tap new ideas and fresh perspectives. The real estate industry continues to evolve. Younger generations can offer unique perspectives to meet the changing demand in the business.
NAR has put a lot of thought into their version of the ‘Young Professional Networks’. There is a lot a merit to what they say. But, there are two reasons for a YPN group that I think should be mentioned.
The YPN group is supposed to be about networking and building your professional career. But, the YPNs across the nation have integrated a fun concept into their groups. The network meetings are about building lasting relationships that you can take across your professional career. It is about trading ideas and supporting each other. But, most of all the YPN meetings are a time when you want to go and build your business because it is fun and rewarding.
The buyers that are hitting the market today are looking for something different from their agent. They way they communicate and the demands they want in their future home is a lot different than our parents or our grandparents. The YPN group is a way for all REALTORS® to take advantage of their useful knowledge in communicating with the next generation of home buyers. YPN can create a learning tool where all REALTORS® can grow and meet the changing demands.