You are here: Home | About the Association | Mission and History

Mission and History

Mission

The purpose of the Rogue Valley Association of REALTORS® is to:

  • Unite those engaged in the recognized branches of the real estate profession.
  • Promote and maintain high standards of conduct in the real estate profession as expressed in the Code of Ethics of the National Association of REALTORS®.
  • Provide a unified medium for real estate owners and those engaged in the real estate profession.
  • Further the interests of home and other real property ownership.
  • Unite those engaged in the real estate profession in this community with the Oregon Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS®.
  • Designate, for the benefit of the public, individuals authorized to use the term REALTOR® as licensed, prescribed, and controlled by the National Association of REALTORS®.

Rogue Valley Association of REALTORS® Political Advocacy is focused on:

  • Protecting private property rights.
  • Promoting wise land use law and rule that balances the protection of private property rights with maintaining healthy communities.
  • Highest and best use of the land and the wide distribution of land ownership.
  • Creation of adequate housing, the building of functioning cities, the development of productive industries and farms, and the preservation of a healthful environment.

 History

Chartered in 1926 as the Medford Realty Board, the Rogue Valley Association of REALTORS® (RVAR) is the professional association for more than 950 real estate practitioners and affiliated companies in Jackson County.  RVAR was originally incorporated in 1951 as the Medford Board of REALTORS®, and more recently in 1997 as the Rogue Valley Association of REALTORS®, due to a merger with the Ashland Board of REALTORS®.  RVAR is affiliated with the Oregon Association of REALTORS® in Salem, Oregon, and the National Association of REALTORS®, the nation’s largest professional trade association, headquartered in Chicago.  

What is known today as the Southern Oregon Multiple Listing Service, Inc., was organized in 1925 and became a non-profit corporation as the Medford Multiple Listing Service in 1956. In 1985, the Medford Service merged with the Ashland Multiple Listing Service and began doing business as the Southern Oregon Multiple Listing Service. In 2002, the company was restructured and reincorporated as the Southern Oregon Multiple Listing Service, Inc., an Oregon Domestic Business Corporation. It is a privately held corporation and the only shareholder is the Rogue Valley Association of REALTORS®, Inc.

You are here: Home | About the Association | Mission and History